Approximately 40 million Americans avoid going to the dentist because of anxiety. In some cases a patient’s fear is so severe it keeps them from getting the dental treatment they need. With the help of sedation dentistry (the use of anesthesia during a dental procedure) even people with severe phobias can feel comfortable, calm and relaxed during their treatment.
Why choose sedation dentistry?
Even patients without a dental phobia could benefit from the use of sedation dentistry. Here are a few reasons people choose sedation:
- Sensitive teeth
- Fear of needles
- Prior traumatic dental experiences
- Complex dental issues
- Difficulty getting numb
- Inability to control movements
Sedation dentistry may also be a good choice if you need major dental work or must have more complex procedures. In many cases, the use of sedation may allow you to get all your dental work done at one time.
Different types of sedation are available depending on your level of anxiety. These include:
- Mild sedative pills given before your appointment
- Nitrous Oxide sedation (laughing gas) used during treatment
- Intravenous sedation
These methods can achieve varying degrees of sedation.
- Nitrous Oxide – a very light sedation. Although you remain awake, you will feel very calm and relaxed. You will be able to drive yourself home.
- Oral Sedation – a mild to moderate sedation where you are awake and can respond. If receiving this type of sedation, you will need a family member or friend to accompany you to your appointment. You might be slightly groggy and will need someone to drive you home.
- IV Sedation – with this level of sedation you will still be able to breathe on your own and respond, but in most cases will have no recollection of the procedure. As it will take a few hours for the sedation to wear off, you will need someone to drive you home.
Let us know if you prefer to receive sedation for your dental procedure and Dr. Stan can help you decide the proper type and level of sedation for you. We offer sedation dentistry for procedures ranging from dental cleanings, fillings and crowns to implants and reconstructive dental work. New Patients may take advantage of our New Patient Special.
IV sedation certified and licensed plus 25+ years of experience
Because of his extensive education and experience, Rockwall Dentist, Dr. Stan Lowrance was one of first General Dentists to receive IV sedation certification in the state of Texas. In his search for the most advanced techniques and up to date research, he has garnered a Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry and has tallied 2000 hours of continuing education.
With Dr. Stan and his skilled team, you’re assured of receiving the finest dental care in a comfortable, relaxed environment.
Contact Lowrance Dental today to schedule an appointment.